I’ve noticed lately how trendy “list” posts have become on social media. I’m not surprised, as I am a lover of lists, and I have a tendency to click on every single one that’s posted. For instance, I know the 10 smoothies that will change your life. I know the 67 things some person wishes they’d known when they were 18. I know 100 crock pot recipes. And even 22 reasons Jennifer Lawrence should be my best friend.
So, I decided to make a list of my own. It’s not profound – I don’t claim to hold the secrets to a happy marriage, but it does a include a few of the ways MY marriage is awesome for me. And maybe I’ll do this every few years to see how it changes – but for now, in my third year of marriage, in no specific order and without any further ado…I give you:
19 (Somewhat Non-Traditional) Tips for Making Marriage Awesome
- Bring your husband a hot towel straight from the dryer while he’s in the shower.
- Start your wife’s car for her when it’s cold outside and she’s running late.
- Cook dinner together. (And on the inevitable occasion that it turns out more like burnt rubber than food, go out for an impromptu date night.)
- Go on dates as often as possible.
- Try new things together – like going to a comedy club and getting hypnotized and laughing so hard you cry.
- If folding the laundry is her job – do it for her occasionally. The time it saves her WILL pay off for you later.
- If he always takes the trash out – surprise him by doing it once in a while.
- Fix things together when possible. If your house starts falling down around you – patch, replace, paint and repair it together. Encourage each other to call a plumber or electrician when necessary. Some things are better left to the professionals.
- Surprise each other. Leave a note on the fridge, or their favorite candy on their desk, or lottery tickets in their car.
- Get drunk together on a date night in. (Fair warning: may lead to hilarious karaoke sessions and dance parties for two.)
- HAVE KARAOKE SESSIONS AND DANCE PARTIES FOR TWO!
- Go on walks. Get some fresh air and enjoy each other’s company without all the distractions of screens and sounds everywhere.
- Travel. Even if it’s just a weekend getaway to a drive-able location. Making memories in new places are some of the best kind.
- Volunteer together! Whether it’s a walk to end Alzheimer’s or serving at a soup kitchen, it will broaden your perspectives and remind you how much there is to be thankful for. It might also change someone’s life (yours included).
- Take time for yourselves every once in a while! Girls’ weekends and guys’ weekends are good for your relationship. Maintaining your friendships is vital! And as they say…absence makes the heart grow fonder.
- Send each other….ummm…romantic…texts occasionally.
- Get rid of the TV in your bedroom.
- Send her flowers on ANY day of the year besides Valentine’s Day. (Well, that day, too, of course, but you’ll score a lot more points when they’re “just because.”)
- Pray together. Give thanks for each other and the life you’ve been given.
What things do you recommend for making marriage awesome?